1. Smoking and chewing gum and betel nut are prohibited in the entire premises. 2. Poorly dressed visitors or those wearing slippers will be barred from entry. 3. There may be a large number of visitors, so please follow the tour route in an orderly fashion. Please keep an eye on your personal belongings and safety as well. 4. Do not bring food, pets, prohibited or dangerous items into the premises. 5. Visitors who damage or vandalize equipment or property in the premises shall be responsible for repairs. 6. Please comply with safety inspections of your personal belongings. 7. Please comply with the regulations of the premises and the guidance and instructions provided by our service staff.
After purchasing your ticket, line up for a ride on the dedicated elevator that brings you to the observatory. The High-Speed Elevator ascend from 5th floor to 89th floor 37 seconds. B1 to 89th floor 39 seconds. With maximum speed 1010 meters per minute.
Observatory Ticket Booths and Entrance
The corridor leads directly to the wind damper area, the key feature that keeps TAIPEI 101 secure and safe. The tuned mass damper of TAIPEI 101 is the world's largest (with a diameter of 5.5 meters) and heaviest (660 metric tons), and is fully displayed to allow visitors to take close-up shots of the structure.
The corridor connecting between the 89th and 88th floors includes a constantly updated multimedia gallery exhibiting different contents.
Treasure Trove 88
A gallery of Taiwan's unique product of carved coral and gemstones.
The observatory on the 89F is located 382 meters above ground and provides a spectacular 360 degree view of Taipei’s skyline in every direction. Numerous facilities are available, such as free Wi-Fi, multimedia guided tours by scanning the QR Code, TAIPEI 101 gifts, art and music products, souvenirs, the world's highest mail box, an ice cream and drinks bar, high powered binoculars, as well as the world's largest and heaviest tuned mass damper, the only one in the world displayed for public visit.
The heavens and earth are reflected and mirrored in a massive kaleidoscope surrounding our visitors, allowing them to enjoy a visual experience that seems to place the very heavens and earth directly into their hands. *Reminder: for visitors wearing miniskirts, please be aware that the glass floor may be reflective.
One can view and study the structure of the curtain walls and the screws that hold them in place. The transparent floor also allows viewers to gaze at the ground 382 meters below.
Located at the tip of this super skyscraper, the outdoor observatory deck allows visitors to feel the wind or contemplate the visual banquet surrounded by clouds and the panoramic view. Visitors can also view the tip of the spire that reaches 508 meters above ground.
★The 91st floor is only open to public visits on certain days. Please refer to public notices on site for information.
The theater on the 91st floor displays films on the construction of TAIPEI 101 as well as New Year’s celebration fireworks.
Tip of the Spire
Visitors can also view the tip of the spire that reaches 508 meters above ground.
Hot springs in Xinbeitou with high temperature and many sources are caused by the terrestrial heat of Datun Mountains. Thermal valley is one of the earliest hot spring sources found in Taiwan. Water quality The green sulfur in Thermal valley is the acid spring. The consistency of hydrogen is 1.4, the temperature is 85。C, the color is translucent gray, and it has light radiation. The hot spring in Beitou Hot Spring Road is white sulfur. Its PH between 3-4, as vitriol salt spring, translucent white and yellow, 50。C - 90。C, and light acidity. Scenic spots Beitou hot spring has been famous since Japanese colonial times. The area is around with historic monuments and natural scenic spots. Beitou Museum, Yinsong Building, Xingnai Spring, Beitou Library, Beitou Hot Spring Park, and the Folk Museum connect into a hot spring route.
Xiangshan derives its name from_ its external shape (“xiang” means elephant in Chinese) and is located at the south-eastern section of Xinyi District. Its composition is mainly sandstone, akin to that of Hushan. The tawny cliffs and giant rocks along the path, coupled with numerous natural life forms and birds, make the entire mountain resemble a natural ecological paradise.
It’s a great place for the general public to enjoy outdoor leisure time and bask in the beauty of nature. Along the trail there are explanatory sign boards providing information to visitors concerning the environment. The diversified cliff and slope terrains form a great nurturing ground for fern-family plants. In particular, the quantity of Taiwanese Cibotium (Cibotium taiwanianum) and Flying Spider-monkey Tree Fern (Cyathea lepifera) ranks top in Taipei City. Back in the days when medicine was not as advanced as it is today, Taiwanese Cibotium was commonly used to stop bleeding. The Flying Spider-monkey Tree Fern, on the other hand, is the most valuable ecological feature of Taipei City.
Standing on the top of Xiangshan, the entire Taipei Basin is right under your eyes. The extension of the ridge reaches into Zhongqiang Park of Xinyi District, and therefore has become the best evening stroll venue for local residents. It is also a great vacation spot for people to relax and relieve stress. The Six Giant Rocks “Laolaixia” is the name given to Xiangshan’s landscape of peculiar giant rocks. On top of these rocks, the entire view of the bustling Xinyi District is captured; it is a popular spot for photo-taking. The rising sun juxtaposed with Taipei 101 and the slumbering Xinyi District skyscrapers provide endless pictures of enjoyment throughout the day and night.
Originally a winery, the Huashan Cultural and Creative Industry Center is now an important events venue. As a new cultural events platform, many large-scale exhibitions, installations, theater productions and performances now take place here.
Xingtian Temple is the most-visited temple in northern Taiwan, attracting upwards of 10,000 people a day. Situated in the heart of Taipei, the temple is unique in that it does not allow worshippers to burn spirit money or make offerings. There are also no donation boxes or opera performances, and no commercial activity is allowed.
The Taipei Zoo is one of the ten largest municipal zoos in the world and the largest in Southeast Asia. Getting there is easy: just take the MRT Muzha Line southbound all the way to the terminal station. As the zoo is home to more than 400 animal species, rest assured there’s plenty to see! The zoo includes 7 indoor exhibits, each with different themes.At the Insectarium you’ll meet several butterfly species unique to Taiwan. Next, you won’t want to miss the hugely popular Koala House and Penguin House.
There are also two giant pandas from___ China! These animals are the Zoo’s resident celebrities, so be sure to check them out! The star of the zoo used to be the Asian Elephant “Grandpa Lin Wang,” who lived to the ripe old age of 86. Lin’s longevity—20 years older than most Asian Elephants—was hailed by zoologists as a miracle. After his death, Lin was stuffed and put on display, and now enjoys the distinction of being the world’s largest stuffed Asian Elephant! You can see him on display in the Education Center.
Apart from___ the indoor exhibits, the Taipei Zoo also features 8 outdoor exhibit areas. The latter are divided according to geographical environment, and possess educational value both as exhibits and ecological environments. The “Children’s Zoo,” “Formosan Animal Area,” and “African Animal Area” are the most popular, according to Internet voting. The Formosan Animal Area includes endemic species like Formosan sika deer, Taiwan macaque, and Swinhoe’s pheasant. These animals can only be found in Taiwan—definitely worth a look!
Shaped like a pound sign, the Taipei Fine Art Museum is a traditional siheyuan courtyard with a modern edge. At night the artfully lighted museum is an eye-catching landmark. The museum hosts many international exhibitions.
The Museum of Contemporary Art Taipei is located in a historic Japanese-era building once used as Chenggong Elementary School. After Taiwan`s retrocession, the building housed the Taipei City Hall. When City Hall moved to Xinyi District in 1994, the building was turned into an art museum. The museum was officially renamed in 2000 as the Museum of Contemporary Art Taipei. Free audio guide service and group tours are available.
Construction of the Taipei Guest House began in 1899 and was completed in 1901. Its current form dates back a renovation in 1911. The guest house is located to the left of the Presidential Office Building and served as the residence of the governor-general during the Japanese occupation period. Visiting VIPs were also received here. In 1950, the building was renamed as the Taipei Guest House and repurposed for large state banquets, the reception of foreign dignitaries, and cultural activities. In 1998, the guest house was designated as a national historic site.
Located on Mt. Bishan in Neihu District, Bishan Temple is dedicated to the hero Chen Yuan-kuang and his generals Li Po-yao and Ma Ren. Chen developed the Quanzhou area of Fujian Province. Among the people of Quanzhou, he is worshipped as the patron saint Kaizhang Sheng Wang. Bishan Temple is the biggest temple in Taiwan dedicated to Kaizhang Sheng Wang. The popular temple also commands a bird`s-eye view of the scenic surroundings, including the Taipei Basin, the winding Tamsui River, Liyu Mountain, and terraced fields.
Drink up a bit of Taipei`s past at this museum housed in a historic pumping station. The station is located by the Xindian River off Siyuan Street near one of the city`s water sources. The Baroque-style facility was built in 1908 and some of the original equipment remains on display inside. The station was designated as a national grade-three historic site, and it was reopened as a museum in April 2000. Apart from__ its educational value, the museum provides a classical backdrop that has been featured in many local TV ads. It is also a favorite site for bridal photographs.
Zhinan Temple is located at the foot of Zhishan Mountain in Taipei`s Wenshan District. Built in 1890, the temple is dedicated to the Daoist immortal Lu Tung-pin, better known as Xiangong or Luzu. A scholar of the Tang period, Lu loved poetry and books. He successfully passed the provincial level imperial examination and became a county magistrate.
Because of his pious devotion to the Dao, Lu`s path crossed with that of the Daoist immortal Zhong Liquan, who showed him the way to enlightenment. Many mysterious and noble deeds were attributed to Lu, making him one of the best known and most-loved of the Daoist immortals in Taiwan.
The Presidential Office Building originally served as the seat of the colonial government during the Japanese occupation period. At the time of its completion in 1919, it was the tallest building in Taiwan. The east-facing structure looks out to Sishou Mountain and commands a panoramic view of the city. During the period of Japanese rule, 13 governors-general held office here. After Taiwan`s retrocession, Chen Cheng installed the Southeastern Military Administrator`s Office here. The building later served as the joint location of the Executive Yuan and Presidential Office before becoming the Presidential Office Building.
Wisteria Tea House occupies a central position in the political culture of Taipei. During the 1950s, Prof. Chou Te-wei and a group of leading academics met here regularly to discuss, study and promote western liberalism in Taiwan. After the pro-democracy Kaohsiung Incident in 1979, it became a meeting place for political dissidents and avant-garde artists. The building was first turned into a tea house in 1981 by owner Chou Yu. Chou named it Wisteria Tea House after the old wisteria vines growing along the building eaves. In 1997, the tea house was designated as a city historic site.
Next to the Taipei Fine Art Museum, the attractive Taipei Story House was built in 1913 by Dadaocheng tea merchant Mr. Chen Chaojun. Originally a guest house for rich merchants and local influentials, the Story House now hosts tea or Taipei history-related exhibitions.
Located within the 228 Memorial Peace Park on Xiangyang Road, the National Taiwan Museum is a regal Baroque-style building complete with gable and dome supported by enormous round columns. The National Taiwan Museum is also Taiwan`s oldest musem.
Built in 1987, the National Chiang Kai-Shek Cultural Center at Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall are the first national-level cultural venues in Taiwan. In addition to hosting major performances, the two major buildings of the center—the National Theater and National Concert Hall—are major Taipei landmarks. The two buildings are designed in a traditional Chinese palace style, with distinctive yellow tiled roofs and red pillars adding to their stately elegance. In addition to enjoying world-class musical, dance and theater performances, center visitors can also tour the cultural gallery and performing arts library. The center also offers regular guided tours for a more in-depth look at the world of performance arts in Taipei.
At a corner in Taipei’s high-end Xinyi District, a few low-rise houses sit closely together. These somewhat crowded buildings chronicled the tears and joy of veterans who migrated to Taiwan in the early days. This is the former site of Taipei City’s Military Dependents’ Village, called the “Sisinan Village”. With the increasingly fast economic growth and the rising living standard, these old houses no longer serve the needs of the residents. The City Government initially planned to rebuild them in 1999. However, through persuasion from_ the cultural circles, the City Government designated this premise as the Cultural Hall and Cultural Park of Xinyi District, and started operation in 2003.
The Hall consists of four symmetrical buildings. The houses that sat tightly next to each other have been converted into an open space for events and exhibitions. The premise now consists of an exhibition hall, Military Dependents’ Village Exhibition Hall, performance hall and community hall. The exterior still retains the unique low-rise and the simple, rustic style of the Military Dependents’ Village. The narrow alleys and footpaths will take the visitors down memory lane. It is a fascinating contrast to the neighboring towering Taipei 101 and surrounding modern buildings, a compelling testimony of Taipei’s urban development.
Zhongshan Hall was built in 1928, during Japanese colonial era, to commemorate the accession of Emperor Hirohito. Known at that time as the Taipei Assembly Hall, the building was faced in light green tile to make it less visible to aerial bombers. The windows are adorned with classical designs in a Spanish Islamic style. With its 1,500 person seating capacity, the hall served as an important activity center during the Japanese colonial era. After Taiwan`s retrocession, the building was renamed as the Zhongshan Hall and used for the reception of foreign dignitaries. In 1992, the hall was designated as a national grade two historic site.
Bu-Zheng-Shi-Si was the highest provincial-level government agency of the Qing Dynasty, and the Taiwan Bu-Zheng-Shi-Si was established when Taiwan received the status of Chinese province in 1887. The “Yamen”, or imperial bureau, of this once-highest regulatory authority in Taiwan stood where the present-day Zhongshan Hall is now located. When China lost the Sino-Japanese War in 1895 and ceded Taiwan to Japan, a group of Taiwanese activists founded the “Taiwan Republic” and built a presidential office where the Bu-Zheng-Shi-Si was formerly located, although their patriotic attempt only lasted for a little more than 10 days. The Japanese Governor-General set up a temporary office in the Military Preparedness Agency to the west of Yamen before the permanent architecture (the present-day Presidential Office) was completed.
To celebrate the enthronement of Emperor Hirohito in 1931, the Japanese decided to build Taipei Public Hall in the front square of the Military Preparedness Agency. To provide space for the Taipei Public Hall, the Taiwan Bu-Zheng-Shi-Sin building was torn down, with a part of the remaining structures now preserved in Yuanshan Zoo (the present-day Folk Arts World of Taipei Children’s Recreation Center) as well as in the Taipei Botanical Garden. Currently, the hallway of the Military Preparedness Agency and the lobby, along with some of the wings, of Bu-Zheng-Shi-Si Office in Taipei Botanical Garden still remain intact: they are the only architectural relics of the Qing-Dynasty “Yamen” in Taiwan. After World War II, a forestry research and experimentation office under the Forestry Bureau of the Taiwan Provincial Government converted this historic building into a forestry museum, with the Council of Agriculture being its governing body. Designated in 1985 by the Ministry of the Interior as a class 2 national historic site, the stately Bu-Zheng-Shi-Si architecture is the only Qing bureau still standing.
The Taipei Grand Mosque is a center of worship for Taipei`s Muslims community. Designed by the renowned architect C.C. Yang, the mosque was built in 1960 with funds donated from_ Taiwan and Saudi Arabia. The main distinguishing feature of the mosque is its enormous domed roof. The dome is 15 meters high, 15 meters in diameter and is supported entirely without beams. The mosque is adorned with handmade Persian rugs and chandeliers presented by kings of countries allied with Taiwan. The mosque also has two minarets that rise impressively to over 20 meters. When visiting Taipei Grand Mosque, please be sure to follow the mosque rules. Only Muslims are allowed to enter the main prayer hall and second floor prayer hall for women.
The 6.6-hectares Songshan Cultural and Creative Park in Taipei’s Xinyi District was completed in 1937 as the Songshan Tobacco Factory, which was one of the seed companies of a monopoly system mandated by the Taiwan Governor-General Office. The premises were one of Taiwan’s pioneers of modern industry, as well as the first professional tobacco plant. A gracefully simple Japanese modernist structure, the factory features meticulously crafted face cams, glasswork and bronze nails that made it arguably a “model factory” at that time. When Japan lost the war in 1945, the Taiwan Provincial Monopoly Bureau took over the factory and renamed it, Songshan Tobacco Factory of Taiwan Provincial Monopoly Bureau. The factory ceased production of cigarettes in 1998 for concerns over urban planning, regulatory changes in the tobacco and liquor marketing system, as well as shrinking demand. It became a relic of the past after being merged into the Taipei Cigarette Plant. In 2001, the Taipei City Government named the tobacco factory the city’s 99th historic site and converted it into a park comprising city-designated historic sites (namely the office building, the 1st to 5th warehouses, cigarette plant and boiler room), historic structures (the inspection room, a machinery repair shed and a nursing room) and architectural highlights (the Baroque-style garden, an ecologically landscaped pond, a public bath and a multi-purpose auditorium).
For more efficient reuse of space, the Songshan Cultural and Creative Park was built on the historic site as a production base for designers and cultural & creative businesses, as well as a venue for performances and exhibitions. The park introduced to its premises a Taiwan Design Museum and TMSK through partnerships with the Taiwan Design Center and prestigious Taiwanese glasswork label LIULI GONG FANG, respectively, besides a snack bar that was converted from____ the machinery repair shed.
Established in 1952, the Grand Hotel is a 14-story palatial building towering on the hillside of Yuanshan and surrounded by Keelung River in the front, Mt. Yangmingshan in the back, Songshan to the east and Tamsui to the west. With its signature red columns and golden roof, the hotel’s magnificent exterior presents a sumptuously classic ambiance that reflects the beauty of traditional Chinese arts. The hotel is one of Taipei City’s world-renowned landmarks, and also the premium choice for travel accommodation or business conferences for people worldwide.
The beauty of the Grand Hotel comes from_ its stately Chinese-style structures and splendid classic setting; the mystique of the hotel lies in its legendary, historic significance and the rumor about a secret underground passageway; one can chalk the hotel’s otherworldly serenity to its great location, adjacent to a scenic belt away from_ the urban bustle. The century-old golden dragons The bronze dragons were initially desgined statues guarding the entrance to Taiwan Jinjia (built in 1901 in the style of a Japanese Shinto shrine). They were carefully preserved during re-constructions of the Grand Hotel, to be later perfectly displayed in the hotel’s Gold Dragon Restaurant; the dragons were accentuated with 24-karat gold plating as part of the hotel’s renovation efforts in 1987. It is worth noting that these dragons have three claws only, compared to the four or five claws on dragons depicted in traditional Chinese paintings. Plum-flower caisson ceiling On the center of the hotel lobby’s ceiling is a plum blossom-shaped caisson, with five golden dragons encircling a pearl, suggesting the “Five Blessings.” Inspired by the Chinese pronunciation of “3” sounding like “rise” and the number 16 plus the large plum blossom, the 23 golden dragons and 16 phoenixes in the caisson were deliberately designed to signify rising to prominence and continuous profits, respectively.
The caisson ceiling is also a profound traditional symbol of prosperity, represented by the dragons and phoenixes. Upturned eaves and bucket arch On the rooftop, both the upturned eaves and bucket arch embody ancient Chinese culture. While a row of animals crouch above the vertical ridge of the dramatically upturned eaves, the Chiwei, or monster-like ornaments made from_ roofing shingles, are poised between the main ridge and vertical ridge. The sumptuously delicate yet robust bucket arch structure under the roof is one of the greatest wonders in Chinese architecture. Glass doors of the hotel lobby The gigantic, yet gracefully symmetrical, floor-to-ceiling glass doors of the lobby serve as the front entrance of The Grand Hotel. Look closely, and you will see six ancient Chinese characters signifying “Long Live the Republic of China”, hidden under the decorative patterns.
The creativity of the design and how times have changed are surely impressive, considering the historical background of the hotel. Stone tablet Erected at the beginning of a stone staircase leading to the arched entrance is a giant stone tablet inscribed with the cursive-style characters “Jian-Tan-Sheng-Ji”. After verification from_ various sources, the words depicted in the free-flowing and powerful calligraphic work of the late politician Yu You-ren, are believed to mean that the Yuanshan area is sanctified, which offers an explanation for the Grand Hotel remaining popular and revered over the past century.
Located between the main peak of Mt. Datun and Mt. Erzi, the approximately 2-kilometer long Erziping Trail was built along a volcano-tectonic depression in Yangmingshan and ranked as the country’s top 10 scenic trails, rivaling those in the Alishan and Taroko Gorge. Thanks to its evenly paved surface and pleasant weather, this wide, barrier-free footpath is the most accessible one in Yangmingshan National Park. In addition to three ponds, scenic highlights and the balmy weather thanks to its location in the lee side of Mt. Datun, the Erziping Trail Recreation Area spans the subtropical and warm temperate zones, making it virtually Nature’s classroom with impressively diverse vegetation ranging from__ forest trees (mostly Red Nanmu, Japanese Black Pine and Chinese Sweet Gum), arborescent plants, shrubs and ferns of all kinds, to food plants for butterflies, nectar-yielding plants and aquatic plants. It is perfect for a casual stroll and also for such activities as butterfly- and bird-watching, mountaineering, hiking, sightseeing, day-tripping and flora observation.
Of the 14 pavilions of the 2010 Taipei International Flora Expo, the Pavilion of Dreams in Xinsheng Park Area is the only one that demonstrates state-of-the-art, interactive digital technologies originated in Taiwan. Each gallery in the pavilion is powered by advanced technologies under the auspices of Academia Sinica, in a palpable sign of national competitiveness. The pavilion’s grand hall is entitled “Prelude” to suggest the beginning of a journey involving four distinctively intriguing galleries and a theater that shows Jimmy Liao’s animated films. While visitors interact, with naked eyes, with 3D images of endemic Taiwanese plants in Gallery 1 under the theme of “Diversity”, they are transformed into insects in Gallery 2 (or “Collaboration”) and learn to coexist with flowers. The screen images magically respond to heart beats and are breath-taking in the 360-degree panoramic theater of Gallery 3 (Harmony), thanks to an Ultra Wide Band Non-contact Physiological Monitoring System. To wrap up the perfectly memorable journey, each visitor will have his/her signature flower planted in the “urban garden” of Gallery 4 (Love and Dream).
Qingtiangang Grassland (a.k.a. “Sun Valley”) is situated in the heart of the Datun Mountain Range. It is a flat, saddle-shaped area encircled by Mt. Zhuzi, Mt. Qigu, Mt. Ding and Mt. Huangzui that used to be a terrace formed by lava from__ Mt. Zhugao. Qingtiangang was designated by Japanese colonial rulers as the site of the Dalingzhi Ranch for tea-growing and cattle-herding purposes. After taking over Taiwan, the Chinese nationalist government established the Yangmingshan Ranch in the Qingtiangang /Lengshuikeng area, following the original Japanese tradition.
Once Taipei City was placed under the administration of the Executive Yuan, the Taipei City Farmers’ Association became responsible for the ranch operations, with the cattle herds on Qingtiangang being owned by farmers in Beitou, Shilin and Jinshan. With gently rolling meadows and dazzling verdancy, the evenly surfaced Qingtiangang is a wonderful outdoor classroom for grassland observation, and the most popular hiking destination in Yangmingshan National Park, with a foot path impressively lined with undulating grass and stumpy shrubs.
Treasure Hill Arts Village is a historic cluster situated under the Fuhe Bridge, near the water supply plant. With winding alleys and stairs snaking up and down the gentle slopes, a special landscape is created where natural scenery and cultural clusters interweave along the surrounding hills. In recent years, many artists and creative studios have moved into the Village and opened themselves to the public through the policy of revitalization and conservation, forming unique scenery where cultural coexistence clusters are scattered along the hillside. In addition, a two- or three-hundred-year-old Buddhist temple worshipping Guanyin stands on the hillside; it is a place for people to worship or pray for blessings. To appreciate the river scenery, one can cycle along the river banks on the bikeway from__ Xindian all the way to Tamsui River, to enjoy the exhilaration of riding with the wind.